[qtopia] german dictionary for predictive keyboard

Ole Kliemann ole-om-community-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Sat Jul 26 01:07:34 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 02:40:49PM +0000, Ole Kliemann wrote:
> So good would be if either the system would recognize `ss' as correct
> wherever a sharp S is in a word (same for ue, ...).

It can be done this way:

I took the qtopia sources and compile them. A tool named `qdawggen' will
be build in the process. The word lists qtopia uses are stored as DAWGs
in .dawg files. qdawggen creates these .dawg files form plaintext word
lists.

Unfortunately the source word list for german was not included in the
qtopia source snapshot. So I got igerman98 [1] and created a word list.
A simple sed script translated every ö, ä, ü, ß into oe, ae, ue, ss.
qdawggen then built a DAWG from it.

[1] http://www.j3e.de/ispell/igerman98/dict/igerman98-20071211.tar.bz2

Ole