Howto compile more kernel modules with MokoMakefile?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 16:36:58 CEST 2008

On Monday 28 July 2008, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> >> You can't use other Gadget devices currently, because Gadget-Ethernet
> >> is compiled into the kernel (not as a module) and this precludes any
> >> other gadget drivers from loading.  As I am currently working on
> >> Gadget Audio for the Freerunner, I too would like to see this
> >> situation resolved properly at the distribution level.
> >
> > That's frustrating. I had imagined the gadget functions could
> > coexist so we
> > could provide both network and storage.
>
> It sure is frustrating, and imho is a bit of an oversight on the part
> of whoever-it-is that is responsible for making command decisions
> about the configuration of the OpenMoko distro.  Personally I think
> for sure we need to pile on as many g_* drivers as possible, and that
> means reconfiguring the current distros to make g_ethernet a module,
> not compiled -in ..

I had the naive hope that modprobing multiple gadget drivers would give you a
composite device, but a little searching shows it doesn't work that way. It
seems there is work under way for a composite gadget framework that may allow
something close to that, subject to controller limitations such as the number
of available endpoints.

http://blog.felipebalbi.com/?p=44
http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/