[openmoko-announce] Openmoko on Design

Alex Kavanagh alex at ajkavanagh.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 23:07:25 CEST 2008

Jay Vaughan wrote, On 28/07/08 21:31:
>> Sorry to hear it doesn't work for you. But like I said, we each have
>> our
>> own ways of understanding and making meanings.
>> You are free to create your own meanings.
>>

> I just can't see how you honestly believe all this panty-waiste
> dilettante waffling about "not having a design because its up to the
> open community" is going to drive things forward.  Are you, or are you
> not, committed to delivering a working phone platform that *users* and
> developers alike are going to be interested in?  Then: some standards
> need to be put forth, and they need to be adhered to.

I can't speak for anybody else, but what were you actually expecting of
the Neo FR?  A finished SDK that you can develop against to build your
app on?    To me this is Linux pre 1.0 with with no GNOME or KDE or XFCE
or ... any evolved user interface.  I'm okay with that - it's early days
yet.  I can just about see what they are doing, but it's very early in
the game.  Too early to expect a stable platform you can write your apps
against ONCE.
> Because at this point, it seems to me that you've just pissed in the
> koolaid.  Basically, you're just selling incomplete, mediocre hardware
> in order to cash in on the "Open Community" meme, or what?

Ask yourself: WHY did you buy the Neo FreeRunner?  I'm curious.  Why did
you buy it after reading the wiki and just about every other piece of
information about it said "I'm really new, not finished, alpha software,
may not work, etc, etc.".  I know why I bought it.

> Please, for all that is merciful and mighty, *get a design* for the
> current systems done, and make sure your team of superlative wizards
> adhere to that design.
How would you go about doing that?  You ask a lot of questions.  How
would you start to answer them?

Cheers
Alex.