[openmoko-announce] Openmoko on Design

Kalle Happonen kalle.happonen at iki.fi
Tue Jul 29 08:04:57 CEST 2008

Nkoli wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net
> <mailto:jayv at synth.net>> wrote:
>

>     Having worked in Open-Hardware for over 15 years now, I was, in fact,
>     expecting a much more coherent strategy for the software platform on
>     Freerunner than just "let the community decide".  Certainly, the
>     community aspect of this project is huge; I am not saying that it is
>     not valuable to have such great public influence on the design; just
>     that: there *has* to be a rigid design approach to guide development,
>     or else we end up with a torn map navigating fork-city.
>

> Jay, your negative posts on this ML do nothing but foster an
> unpleasant atmosphere
Actually I disagree a bit here. Jay is not trolling but just saying
where he's trying to come from. I'm not saying that everybody should
immideately agree with him, but this is one of the main points of having
an open community. There NEEDS to be open criticism and discussion, it's
not like there's only one truth.  Trying to silence and belittle people
who see differently is exactly what should be avoided. Trolling is one
thing, but I think Linus is a great example. Having strong oppinions and
stating them can be good, even if I don't always agree, but they're
never at least unfounded.

Kalle