GPS application (was: Request for help: Would like community applications to show anddiscuss at LinuxWorld)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Tue Jul 29 15:46:28 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag 29 Juli 2008 15:28:56 schrieb rakshat hooja:
> > Moreover the '800 pound gorilla' OM is developing its own
> > gps software and I'm not spending my energy competing with it.
> >
> > OM2007.2 is there, it works and I recommend everybody to develop for it.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Marcus
>
> Not  to start a flame war but even I would like to know why Openmoko with
> its scarce resources is developing its own gps software instead of
> supporting something like Tango GPS that seems to be working so well?

Dear Rakshat, please don't let yourself be fooled by polemics, I know it's
hard to resist, but we should lean on to the facts.

Fact is: Openmoko is NOT developing its own gps software, in fact we all like
Tango GPS a lot. It talks nicely to our opgsd implementation and will be
included by default in the FSO milestone2.

What we did though was to write a framework subsystem implementing the
org.freedesktop.Gypso dbus protcol, enhancing it to support the great U-Blox
chip found in the Neo Freerunner devices, enhancing it to hook into the
systemwide peripheral resource control, enhancing it to prepare for automatic
downloading/uploading almanac and ephemeris to improve warmstart. So, in a
nutshell: We provided the necessary middleware (as is the rest of FSO) to
make things run better. Of course we will also discuss with upstream about
how to improve the gypsy implementation of org.freedesktop.Gypsy.

Please see Daniel Willmann's announcement for more details.

Cheers,
--
:M: