GPS application (was: Request for help: Would like community applications to show anddiscuss at LinuxWorld)

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:19:18 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 21:49 +0530, rakshat hooja wrote:

> @Marcus -  My main job is to sell the Neo ( I work for a distributor)
> and tangoGPS is the application that impresses my clients (and me) the
> most (even though we hardly have OSM data for India!). I would love to
> see it continue to be developed.

Development will go on and as long as I have a Neo it will run on it
too. And I don't intend to sell my Neo ;-)

>  (Offline maps is something that people have asked me about also. If
> you have some suggestions about making that possible using OSM data
> and I am sure you will find a lot of community support to make that
> happen)

Offline maps are supported. Make sure you have a recent version of
tangoGPS installed and change the directory where the maps are stored to
some permanent place. Up to 0.9.2 this is by default /tmp and thus maps
get deleted on reboot.

You can pre-cache areas from the context menu when clicking on the map,
last item "map download".

Hope that helps, regards,

Marcus