Openmoko on Design

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Wed Jul 30 02:56:23 CEST 2008

Is it feasible to have illume detect that an application isn't
capable/interested in sending the signal to bring up the keyboard?

Also, would the openmoko design team be willing to consider a  toggle in the
configuration menu between manual and automatic?

I have a portable bluetooth keyboard (Something which I assume the design team
wants to eventually support out-of-the-box) and it's annoying for the on
screen keyboard to ever come up for me unless I specifically ask for it
because it reduces my usable window space, so in my case, I would prefer to
set it to manual. (And I have modified my illume theme to achieve that)

If I didn't have a bluetooth keyboard, I'd prefer for it to be automatic, but
provide me with a manual toggle (automatically) when I'm currently looking at
software which doesn't know how to ask for the keyboard..

I think this is a good compromise, and in the best interests of the platform
because of the value of quick-and-dirty linux X11 application porting, but at
the same time end-consumers who only use pre-installed software will never
even know the toggle is there, so the designers should be happy.

I hope I'm not adding to the flame war :(  I really appreciate the hard work
and money that openmoko is putting into this project for me and the rest of
the community .. and I don't want them to feel underappreciated as a result
of all the nitpicks.