[openmoko-announce] Openmoko on Design

Michele Renda michele.renda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 07:56:30 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 04:37:20 Christopher White wrote:

Hi Cristopher, let me to understand why you are so in angry.

> My frustration comes off as anger because I just can't seem to figure
> out where to go at times.  I know I signed up for a tough road, and I am
> not afraid to rollup my sleeves and strace a process to see why it's
> hung.
>
> But it's **sloooww** to come up to speed.  It's practically a vertical
> learning curve.

This is the hard work of pioneers :) Usually are them that take all
disadvantage of a new technology and took the "arrow" by Indians. But our
experience is very important and will help the persons will come after us.

You work, and your experience are really important for Openmoko.

In this moment I am thinking to the very early adopter of Neo 1973

> I'm sharing this with the folks at OpenMoko because *they* have the most
> experience with this device, if anything because it's been in their
> hands for a *lot* longer.  Their wisdom is golden.  Right now, it comes
> out in bits and pieces on the wiki and in email.  Finding the answers is
> tough.
>
> Please don't take this as severe criticism.  Instead understand that I'd
> like to try and influence the immediate direction of the folks at
> OpenMoko to work on helping the masses of developers like me and Jay and
> others that want to dive in, but we're severely hindered by the current
> state, which may require pulling people of projects temporarily.  It's
> like sacrificing a little time on ASU goals to get the rest of us up to
> speed.  In the long run, that will be a much bigger pay off.

I understand that you did it in a constructive way, and this is nice. The
problem is that when the critics become too much as in these days, in place to
take the effect to put the OM developer "to give the max" put the developer to
felt criticized in every side, and I think you get the opposite effect.

Remember they are only persons.

> Forgive me...which is the GTK version?  Are you speaking of FSO, or
> 2007.2, or some new version?  It sounds very appealing.

I am speaking 2007.2..... but with all these names :)

> I have tried very hard to voice my complaint along *with* a suggestion.
> I held my tongue for a while on this topic because I don't want to be
> "yet another whiner".  But there often a grain of wisdom to the masses,
> thus I felt it necessary to validate some of the complaints of others.

I thinks that complaints are enough validated for now. There are some problem
and I hope them will be fixed fast.

> I am very excited about it....just ready to kick off the mud already ;-)

... and I read also about Ubuntu ARM ....

> Thank you Michele, forgive me if I sounded harsh.  I am a satisfied, if
> temporarily frustrated, customer.

I think you wrote in a constructive way, so it is important.
May be one time, when we will have our GTA99 we will read these email and we
will smile about it :)

Regards
Michele Renda