illume keyboard button (was Openmoko on Design)

Holger Freyther zecke at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 30 16:54:37 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 15:01:52 Andreas Bogk wrote:

> http://gitweb.openembedded.net/?p=org.openembedded.dev.git;a=blob;f=package
>s/openmoko-projects/illume/configure-keyboard.patch;h=589fe53f38afc59be95a13
>ed67a9f9d1fc452148;hb=HEAD
>
> They re-enabled the feature in their branch, and went on with their
> life.  However, the patch stopped applying this morning, and I had to
> lock down illume to r170.

Hey Andreas,

you actually want to have a different illume.edj file. So the fso guys created
one[1] and use that. It is on the distro team's todolist to make it possible
to easily replace (update-alternative) the illume.edj file with other
versions (installable through the installer). Personally I hope people will
be more creative than just adding a qwertz button and will play with edje to
try other things as well.

About the patch you posted. The sad truth is that X/freedesktop.org lacks a
way to identify virtual inputmethods and this means we have no way to find
out which apps might be able to send key events, let alone switching between
these... So for ASU we can only instantiate one virtual keyboard and we
decided to use the Qtopia keyboard. So what my patch for fso did was to make
that "#if 0" compile time configurable. It was not applied upstream as raster
wanted to make it runtime configurable and the patch doesn't apply anymore as
this has happened.

For post ASU we want to propose E_VIRTUAL_KEYBOARD_STATE (probably _NETWM_...)
to freedesktop.org and want to establish the means to find out which keyboard
implementations are available...

i hope this helps
	z.

[1]