Openmoko on Design

Josh Monson socalopenmoko at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 23:24:45 CEST 2008

Scott wrote:
> Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
>> On 7/30/08 Daniel Benoy wrote:
>>> Also, would the openmoko design team be willing to consider a  toggle
>>> in the configuration menu between manual and automatic?
>>
>> What we want is for people to add their own configuration options to
>> menus in the form of packages installable from the "Installer". This
>> is why we remove functionality. So we can focus on how to make sure
>> our products are extensible.
>
> This seems like a bullshit answer to me. Taking functionality away
> doesn't improve the FR. It makes it less useful. Are you guys deaf or
> something?  Haven't you hear the screams from the people who plonked
> down their cold hard cash for your product about this reduction in
> functionality?
>
> Or are you just so damn arrogant you think its your way or the highway?
>
> If the functionality was there and you felt it should be an option, YOU
> should have made it one!  But thats not what you did. You made it
> difficult for a programmer to temporarily bring it back, and no way to
> make it a user selectable option.
>
> bah!!
>
> Scott

Or is Sean saying that this would be an option if it was in the form of
a package, so if the package was built (by the community) then you would
have the choice to toggle or not to toggle? I am assuming that
functionality was removed so that it can be an installable option and
not a default. Sean?

Maybe asking for more information on why, or a more in-depth explanation
would be appropriate.

Tone down the negativity and just post the question. Constructive
criticism is needed for things to move forward, but you can at least be
respectfull. I think if OM answered you in the same rhetoric you are
asking questions and throwing flames that you would find it offensive.

Yes, things need to be improved and yes things are not exactly how
everyone wants them. OM has as least opened this up so your input can be
received NOW, they could have kept this completely closed for the next
year and we would still all be waiting...

People need to stop biting the hand that feeds you.