Project Proposal: Dead man's switch

Yaroslav Halchenko site-openmoko.org at onerussian.com
Thu Jul 31 19:36:10 CEST 2008

Ha -- actually quite a neat idea imho.

I would extend the list of possible alarms/triggers though from a simple
touchscreen touch to:

1. another SIM is inserted
2. ran without SIM
3. some monitored application gets killed
etc

and actions (although some of them could be probably coded as generic
'shell commands'):
* wait until online and send email with current location (if GPS is on),
registered phoned number, cell location, etc
* or just send an SMS with above msgs if 'in service' ;-)

just in case the phone is lost and then 'tried' with some other SIM ;-)

and I guess such actions could be groupped into logical entities like
"Lost/Stolen phone",
"Death-threatening situation"
"Trick-or-Treat"
"Save-me-from-undesired-conversation"
with selection of monitored triggers and actions to perform.

but then slowly it might boil to some more generic 'framework' like it
was discussed on the mailing list few times I believe (automagic switch
of profiles etc)

Just my few cents ;-)