Private data protection.

Ilja O. vrghost at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 01:08:53 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Rahul Joshi <rjoshi31 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm no security expert but I'm pretty sure a lightweight 8 bit salt
> encryption (security guys?) can give any dektop pc software enough trouble
> to abort the attempt of trying to read a 256 meg worth of datacard, unless
> it really belongs to the director operations FBI ;)

<shamelesly edited copy from wikipedia>
Assume a user's secret key is stolen and he is known to use one of
200,000 English words as his password. The system uses a 8-bit salt.
The amount of combinations is 256*200000 = 51200000.
</shamelesly copy from wikipedia>

 If attacker chacks one hash per second and has 64-core beowulf
cluster it will require 9 days to check all possible combinations.
That's not so much, imo.
Also, processors are cheap these days one guy [1] has build 96-core
machine (for unknown price).

[1] http://helmer.sfe.se/