atomic clock / radio-receiver chip

AVee openmoko-comunity at avee.org
Sun Jun 1 23:34:13 CEST 2008

On Sunday 01 June 2008 21:33, Ilja O. wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 9:26 PM, cdr <_ at whats-your.name> wrote:
> >> And portable thermonuclear bomb. Just in case. (Well, phone is already
> >> hand interface to several orbital atomic clocks, isn't it?)
> >
> > the atomic clock(s) arent orbiting the earth,
>
> But why there are no clocks at the orbit? They could be useful enough.
> E.g. if there are several of them each on predefined geostationary
> orbit we could do lots of useful things with them! For example, we
> could prove that general relativity indeed exists (although ionosphere
> would likely to spoil party at some degree).

You could actually use it to calculate your position anywhere on the surface
of the earth. Lets call it Global Positioning System (GPS).

Really, what you describe here is exactly what GPS does, and you can indeed
use GPS to get an acurate time...

AVee

--
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.