new iphone

Christian Benke benkokakao at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 01:21:03 CEST 2008

Good evening!

So who of you is thinking about buying the new iphone instead of an
openmoko in case the technical specs really improve(3G, better
resolution)?
I'd love to have a open smartphone, but there are so many compromises
with the openmoko project(hardware lacks, formfactor,
unfinished software) and the timing for the release is bad unfortunately
(on the other side the people interested in openmoko are not
necessarily interested in the iphone - However, i guess there will be
some people who drop the idea of buying a moko after next weeks apple
conference...)
I feel bad about this decision, i'm not willing to use proprietary
software anywhere in my environment, neither work nor private, but the
hardware side of the iphone is presumably better(3G, bigger screen) and
the software is just _ready_. I'm kind of in a dilemma right now, on
the one hand i know i'll hate the closeness of OSX at some point (Just
like it happened with Windows 7 years ago) and would love to be able to
do what i want with my smartphone, on the other hand i'm not a
developer (i do some scripting but i'm far from any serious software
hacking) and i don't have the skills to fix annoying bugs and will have
to wait another few months till the software is in a useable state
and a freerunner could get a expensive toy for me if development is not
accelerating as fast as i expect it to after the release :-(

I guess the freerunner will not get available in the next week so i can
still decide, probably i'm lucky and all the speculations about the
iphone are untrue(only 3G is not a (OM-)dealbreaker for me) ;-)

My favourite would still be a Nokia E70 with a useable linux-OS, i
just loved the gullwing formfactor - if just Symbian wasn't such a
crutch, and a bit more RAM would also not hurt on the E70...

my 2 cents
Christian