Which gsmd will be used in future openmoko?

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Tue Jun 3 11:27:54 CEST 2008

By the way, this would be more suitable on openmoko-devel in my opinion...

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 03:35:39 Bin Chen wrote:
> As discussed before, seems there is 3 gsmd outstanding...

Actually, it's worse. We have 5 options :)

> gsmd, gsmd2, ophoned

Qtopia, pygsmd

> Which one is going to be the default gsm daemon in openmoko?

This is hard to tell right now. It depends on how the role / maintenance /
importance of the three available image types (Gtk, Qtopia/EFL,
Framework/Zhone) evolve over the next couple of months.

If we're interested in application developers using telephony without locking
them into a language or toolkit, then we rather chose something with a dbus
interface. This rules out Qtopia and gsmd. pygsmd is Michael Dietrich's rapid
prototyping gsm server for API experiments. This leaves gsmd2 and ophoned --
both sharing most of their API (which is still  evolving, but will stabilize
over the next few weeks), so if you start developing against one of these
two, you can't be wrong.

I personally vote for ophoned, since it's my baby ;)

:M: