Yummy new CPU/GPU combo

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Tue Jun 3 17:45:00 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:51 AM, flexd <openmoko at doombox.org> wrote:
> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) skrev:
>> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:12:30 -0400 "Lally Singh" <lally.singh at gmail.com> babbled:
>>
>> the day nvidia comes with open drivers for this... we can begin to take an
>> interest :)
>>

> To be honest, (i myself do not really care if the drivers are open or
> not, i do not have the require level of geekyness to change them :p) i
> couldnt care less if the drivers are open or not.

I'm not a programmer, but I have to fully disagree with you. Carsten
IS a hacker, and I trust that if the source code where devouring
children that he'd make it public. If not him then Zeke, or if not
him... Me not being able to program it doesn't mean that someone else
who cares can't. That's a level of trust that I gain from Free
Software, and I'd not change that.

> Aslong as we/someone could run a opensource OS on it, such as OM, i'd
> love it!
>
> I want the ability to change everything, but having a different cpu/gpu
> driver isnt exactly a high priority. Ofcourse this would be great, but a
> closed driver will do fine if my phone can have specs as good as that!

I think about that more and more (I traded a quad core Opteron system
with 10 GB of RAM for an Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 so that I could use
the GPLed Intel 3D driver (before I leanrned that GLX was technically
non-free). The more I think on it, the more I realize that a non-free
firmware on the system mainboard actually scares me a bit MORE than a
non-free application in userspace. Not only that, but how in the HELL
can you call a project "Openmoko" with a tagline of "Free your phone"
and then turn your back on openness and freedom?