using the openmoko neo101 in mass storage mode

martin-o23533 at neutronstar.dyndns.org martin-o23533 at neutronstar.dyndns.org
Tue Jun 3 21:25:04 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:53:29AM -0700, Matt Mets wrote:
> I believe this has been discussed at some point, but there is a
> file-storage module that emulates a mass storage device:
> http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/file_storage.html
>
> I don't see it included in the preview ASU package, but it should be
> trivial to build separately.
>
> The issue (that I see, anyway) is that it requires exclusive access to
> the drive that it uses for the storage.

I think we could get around with pretending to be a digital camera / media
player instead. IIRC the protocol prefered by windows for these is more
like a file server protocol (i.e. commands at file level) although maybe
windows doesn't allow to download files from media players and may not
allow to upload on cameras.
But that should get around the exclusive access problem.

Also there could be an image file which is shared via USB storage so no
need to unmount the SD card.

 - Martin