GTA03 case should incorporate stylus holder

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 5 23:14:41 CEST 2008

On 5 Jun 2008, at 18:46, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> On Thursday 05 June 2008 18:04:32 Stroller wrote:
>> On 5 Jun 2008, at 15:38, Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
>>> Can the revised case for GTA03 *please* be designed
>>> to hold a stylus?
>>
>> Nooooooo!
>>
>> Stylii are EVIL!
>>
>> If I can't operate an app with my fingers, then there's no place for
>> that app on my mobile phone!
>
> A stylus is inevitable given a certain combination of application
> type and
> physical display size.
>
> That doesn't mean that we will not write all our apps finger-
> compatible (we
> also hate stylii),

I think what you're saying there is that 1st-party apps will be
finger-compatible, but that "ported" applications are not sure to be
optimised for finger use.

> _but_ being an open device, we should not lock out people
> who _need_ to have lots of tiny stuff on their screen hence need to
> operate
> with a stylus.

If the Openmoko dream is a beautiful, consistent interface that
doesn't need a stylus, then including a slot for one is kinda an
admission of defeat.

Surely most end-users are - in the long-term future of Openmoko -
going to use mostly the preinstalled applications, or the "core
distro" and only add one or two extra applications. Sure, developers
of those additional apps are going to need stylii, as they compile
Thunderbird   for ARM architecture and the buttons are really tiny,
but the aim of applications coming-on-board to Openmoko should surely
to be finger-capable.

Including a stylus holder just allows developers to say, "oh, fingers
don't matter".

There are a dozen "smartphones" out there that I can buy now with
tiny little touchscreens that need a stylus, but these are used only
by geeks. The majority of people buy still buy phones with a number
pad and some kind of navigating aid (a tiny wheel, or joystick nub,
or up-down-left-right arrow buttons). Why is this? Probably because
people like using their fingers to access their phone. I know this is
an old, and perhaps divisive, debate, where never the twain will
meet, but Openmoko has a great opportunity here to make a phone that
combines power with ease-of-use. Enable anyone to install extra apps
on their phone, and *anyone* to use it. A fiddly stylus just makes
the device less accessible.

Stroller.