resolution preferences??

rakshat hooja rakshat at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 08:42:24 CEST 2008

The difference between the VGA screen of the Neo and the QVGA screens I have
are very clear to me (with the VGA being clearly superior) when kept side by
side. But for most of my activities including reading long emails the QVGA
resolution is enough. So unless we have the processing power to run at least
25 FPS VGA video, I would be happy with a QVGA as there is bound to be a
price and performance improvement.

Rakshat

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:09 AM, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <
raster at openmoko.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 00:02:14 -0400 "Steven Milburn" <
> steven.milburn at gmail.com>
> babbled:
>
> > This question is probably just because I misunderstood something you said
> > before, but I'll ask anyway :)
> >
> > If it is acceptable to use QVGA, couldn't that basically be done without
> any
> > hardware changes?  I believe I remember you saying the glamo does
> scaling,
> > so couldn't you let SW treat the display as qvga, and just have the glamo
> > scale it up?
> >
> > Or, is the question more about having qvga instead of the glamo (which
> > leaves you back with the SDIO interface shortage)?
>
> we can just drive the vga screen at qvga. no need for scaling - just change
> the
> output at the lcd controller level. but it is a waste to pay for a vga
> screen
> when we won't use it. also it does look "blocky". it isn't about glamo or
> not -
> it's separate to glamo entirely. simply - how important is a vga screen...
> really? how many people out there can really see the difference? be really
> honest. stop thinking "my specs are bigger than your specs". scan u REALLY
> see
> all the pixels on a vga screen of that size. i bet to most people its all a
> blur - a qvga screen looks identical to them. only to a minority who have
> very
> good eyesight does it really make a difference, but this is just my "bet".
> i'm
> asking the question - and hoping for real honest answers.
>
> > --Steve
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:42 PM, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <
> > raster at openmoko.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:50:43 +0200 Marc Bantle <openmoko at rcie.de>
> babbled:

> since
> > > we'e
> > > have to
> qvga
> > > is

> > > qvga is 320x240. wqvga... that's a whole world of resolutions (400x240,
> > > 432x240, 480x272, 480x320). :)

> > > but it's not a drop-in replacement as its widescreen. we c ould go for
> 2.8"
> > > vga
> > > or 2.8" qvga. drop-in replacement. anything else mans new case/design
> etc.
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > also remember just getting supply of a screen is hard. you also need it
> at
> > > decent physical size.
> > >
> > > i'm asking the question if going down to a (relatively) low resolution
> > > screen
> > > would be an ok compromise.

> > > one way or another we will need to be able to do multiple resolutions
> in
> > > the
> > > long-run.

> [...]

Please use Firefox as your web browser. Its protects you from spyware and is
also a very feature rich browser.
www.firefox.com