resolution preferences??

NeoSleg openmoko at tsleg.com
Fri Jun 6 10:37:57 CEST 2008

Honestly, if the freerunner did not have VGA screen but QVGA, I would not

buy it !

For me, VGA is a must have feature. As other said, there are plenty of QVGA

devices. I don't want one of them because of the resolution.

I have a Dell Axim X5 and I'm really sad about the QVGA resolution (in

addition of the windows OS :( )

Please, please ... keep the VGA screen !

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:39:05 +1000, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)

<raster at openmoko.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 00:02:14 -0400 "Steven Milburn"

> <steven.milburn at gmail.com>

> babbled:

>> This question is probably just because I misunderstood something you

> said

>> before, but I'll ask anyway :)

>> If it is acceptable to use QVGA, couldn't that basically be done without

> any

>> hardware changes?  I believe I remember you saying the glamo does

> scaling,

>> so couldn't you let SW treat the display as qvga, and just have the

> glamo

>> scale it up?

>> Or, is the question more about having qvga instead of the glamo (which

>> leaves you back with the SDIO interface shortage)?

> we can just drive the vga screen at qvga. no need for scaling - just

> change the

> output at the lcd controller level. but it is a waste to pay for a vga

> screen

> when we won't use it. also it does look "blocky". it isn't about glamo or

> not -

> it's separate to glamo entirely. simply - how important is a vga

screen...

> really? how many people out there can really see the difference? be

really

> honest. stop thinking "my specs are bigger than your specs". scan u

REALLY

> see

> all the pixels on a vga screen of that size. i bet to most people its all

> blur - a qvga screen looks identical to them. only to a minority who have

> very

> good eyesight does it really make a difference, but this is just my

"bet".