QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Tom Cooksey thomas.cooksey at trolltech.com
Fri Jun 6 13:15:10 CEST 2008

On Friday 06 June 2008 09:45:29 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> the problem is - if you have a nice screen but the engine to power it is
> underpowered, you will suffer from complaints of it just being slow then
> instead.

I'd like to wave the little "please can we have a decent SoC" flag again. Yes, the CPU
is too slow to drive VGA... but don't fix the problem by putting a lower-spec LCD in,
fix the _real_ issue - The CPU is too slooooooow!!!!!

I assume you're concidering a new LCD for the GTA03? Fine, but if you're going for a
revamp on the GTA04, stick the VGA display back in and give us (well, sell us) a SoC with
some real graphics grunt. And I'm not talking about the Samsung s3c6400 - it is still
way too underpowered. Maybe s3c6410 which seems to have a programmable 3D
pipeline.... Go on, you know you want to... Pixel shaders...  Compiz on a phone...
windows which cast real, pixel-perfect soft shadows... Think what we could do with it!
An entirely clutter (http://www.clutter-project.org/blog/) based UI! It's _worth_ a binary
blob driver. Who knows, maybe samsung will even let you write an open source driver?
(Don't think the s3c6410's 3D core is a PowerVR, seems to be something different?)