QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Fri Jun 6 17:53:17 CEST 2008

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:15:10 +0200 Tom Cooksey <thomas.cooksey at trolltech.com>
babbled:

> On Friday 06 June 2008 09:45:29 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > the problem is - if you have a nice screen but the engine to power it is
> > underpowered, you will suffer from complaints of it just being slow then
> > instead.
>
> I'd like to wave the little "please can we have a decent SoC" flag again.
> Yes, the CPU is too slow to drive VGA... but don't fix the problem by putting
> a lower-spec LCD in, fix the _real_ issue - The CPU is too slooooooow!!!!!

i know. i know! :) preacher -> converted.

> I assume you're concidering a new LCD for the GTA03? Fine, but if you're
> going for a revamp on the GTA04, stick the VGA display back in and give us
> (well, sell us) a SoC with some real graphics grunt. And I'm not talking
> about the Samsung s3c6400 - it is still way too underpowered. Maybe s3c6410

actually the 6400 would be fine imho. the 6410 isn't even available - so that's
totally out of the picture. it's a scribble on someones product plan. until
it's available in mass production - it doesn't exist. the 6410's 3d engine is
also entirely undocumented. i can only find scant hints at its featureset.

> which seems to have a programmable 3D pipeline.... Go on, you know you want
> to... Pixel shaders...  Compiz on a phone... windows which cast real,
> pixel-perfect soft shadows... Think what we could do with it! An entirely
> clutter (http://www.clutter-project.org/blog/) based UI! It's _worth_ a
> binary blob driver. Who knows, maybe samsung will even let you write an open
> source driver? (Don't think the s3c6410's 3D core is a PowerVR, seems to be
> something different?)

it's not worth a binary blob and won't happen with a binary blob. we have made
it clear that we are about things being open. we will stick to that. until we
tell you otherwise :)