QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 18:00:19 CEST 2008

On 6/6/08, Tom Cooksey <thomas.cooksey at trolltech.com> wrote:
> On Friday 06 June 2008 09:45:29 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > the problem is - if you have a nice screen but the engine to power it is
> > underpowered, you will suffer from complaints of it just being slow then
> > instead.
>
> I'd like to wave the little "please can we have a decent SoC" flag again. Yes, the CPU
> is too slow to drive VGA... but don't fix the problem by putting a lower-spec LCD in,
> fix the _real_ issue - The CPU is too slooooooow!!!!!
>
> I assume you're concidering a new LCD for the GTA03? Fine, but if you're going for a
> revamp on the GTA04, stick the VGA display back in and give us (well, sell us) a SoC with
> some real graphics grunt. And I'm not talking about the Samsung s3c6400 - it is still
> way too underpowered. Maybe s3c6410 which seems to have a programmable 3D
> pipeline.... Go on, you know you want to... Pixel shaders...  Compiz on a phone...
> windows which cast real, pixel-perfect soft shadows... Think what we could do with it!
> An entirely clutter (http://www.clutter-project.org/blog/) based UI! It's _worth_ a binary
> blob driver. Who knows, maybe samsung will even let you write an open source driver?
> (Don't think the s3c6410's 3D core is a PowerVR, seems to be something different?)

That was what I hoped for when I desided to not buy GTA01 and wait for
GTA02.

If it was me, I would:

Create an amazing phone (GTA04) - price is less important. People would
still buy if the hardware is good enough, and people spend increasingly
amounts of money on their phones. Add 3g and make sure it can do quad
band GSM. Also make sure it can play videos fast. Maybe integrate a
low MEMS camera and a little flash light. Consider a transflective VGA
LCM.

Also create a low price phone. One with only the basic HW and a QVGA,
but no wifi, but with an inexpensive MEMS camera.

When it comes to GTA03, I will not buy one (because I buy the GTA02),
so I will not be the target. Maybe QVGA is a good solution, or maybe it
should be an option when you buy????

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?