resolution preferences??

Kalle Happonen kalle.happonen at iki.fi
Fri Jun 6 19:46:24 CEST 2008

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen wrote:
> On 6/6/08, NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, June 6, 2008 3:39 pm, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>>

>>> we can just drive the vga screen at qvga. no need for scaling - just
>>> change the
>>> output at the lcd controller level. but it is a waste to pay for a vga
>>> screen
>>> when we won't use it. also it does look "blocky". it isn't about glamo or
>>> not -
>>> it's separate to glamo entirely. simply - how important is a vga screen...
>>> really? how many people out there can really see the difference? be really
>>> honest. stop thinking "my specs are bigger than your specs". scan u REALLY
>>> see
>>> all the pixels on a vga screen of that size. i bet to most people its all
>>> blur - a qvga screen looks identical to them. only to a minority who have
>>> very
>>> good eyesight does it really make a difference, but this is just my "bet".
>>> i'm
>>> asking the question - and hoping for real honest answers.
>>>
>> Well, it's hard to know without having an actual device to look at, but
>> I'll try....
>>
>> My notebook has a 15 inch 1920x1200 monitor which comes to 147dpi.
>> The Freerunner is 285dpi, the pixels are very close to half the width/
>> height of my pixels.
>>
>> So at first I thought "wow, that's tiny.  I don't think I need them *that*
>> small" - and I have better than average eye sight.
>>
>> Then I resized my browser to 640x480 and found I could read it quite
>> well, though lots of web pages don't quite fit.
>> I took a screenshot of the window and displayed it at 50% in the GIMP.
>> So presumably that is how the image could look on the Freerunner.
>>

> No. Now you need to zoom 2x. Then compare the original with this.
> They should occupy the same amount of space on your screen, but
> the "QVGA" should only have half the pixels.

No again :). Someone has mentioned this before, but I thought I'd clear
this up since it's come up a few times. QVGA stands for Quarter VGA
(320*240 = 75kpix), so it's 1/4 of the pixels of real VGA (640*480 =
300kpix). Half the height and you have half the pixels, after that half
the width and 1/4 remains.