QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Fri Jun 6 20:07:01 CEST 2008

Am Fr  6. Juni 2008 schrieb Flemming Richter Mikkelsen:
> When it comes to GTA03, I will not buy one (because I buy the GTA02),
> so I will not be the target. Maybe QVGA is a good solution, or maybe it
> should be an option when you buy????

If I got that right, we "just need to tune some of the LCD-driver settings, to
get QVGA performance on a VGA screen"(OWTTE). So the ONLY argument for a QVGA
screen is the marginal lower price (and it allegedly looks better than a VGA
in QVGA mode which I don't understand) - but this would clearly be no bargain
at all if we go for more expensive offer of "QVGA *OR* VGA option". Absolute
nonsense, it costs 100 somecoin to replace the screen with a 30 somecoin
cheaper one 'on customer order'.

I opt for VGA and give us a way to drive it QVGA whenever speed is a main
concern (think someone said this before?). For GTA03 I'd prefer to have the
SAME LCM as GTA02, just to reduce design risk. NO capacitive ts, NO QVGA LCD
screen! :-/ Just my 2 cents from HW-dev
/jOERG