QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Mon Jun 9 09:26:36 CEST 2008

> i asked for use case because i am not just talking quality. i am
> talking a case
> where vga makes something possible at all or not. where something
> just wouldn't
> be usable or possible without vga. that is what i asked. i want a
> use case for
> vga. not just a "it looks a bit nicer".

Examples mentioned before:
* 24x80 console terminal for remote access of a server
* previewing a >300 kPix image (that isn't much resolution!) without
scrolling/zooming panning
* monthly overview for a calendar where each day shows a reasonably
useful content
* reading 12pt text (not only seeing that there are lines) of a web
page designed for >=VGA without scrolling

One more observation: TV systems initially started with approx. 300
lines (QVGA) and rapidly invented
the half-line interlacing system to come to 500-600 lines (more than
VGA). So, the early TV from the 40ies were
not good enough but the 500-600 lines from the 50ies were good enough
for 50 years. Now comes HDTV.
The use case was unchanged: viewing broadcast movies.

I think, generally everything *can* be done on a smaller resolution.
The "solutions" are:
* scrolling
* flipping between pages
* reducing content

So, I am quite sure you will *not* find *any* application that is
really *impossible* to use
on QVGA... As said before - you can *use* a Porsche as a vehicle if it
has at least one
gear level. But would one buy it?

BR,
Nikolaus