comparing Apples and Oranges $199 iPhone Freerunner GTA02

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Tue Jun 10 09:42:59 CEST 2008

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 22:37:33 -0700 "Ron K. Jeffries" <rjeffries at gmail.com>
babbled:

> [I trust this will not initiate a flame war.] Please?
>
> iPhone v2 announced today. I'd like to understand
> on a hardware basis ONLY (I grok the value of
> free and open source) how does
> the entry level $199 iPhone with 4GB
> compare with Freerunner GTA02.
>
> where I get lost is how much RAM iPhone
> has vs Freerunner. I realize I can buy
> high capacity microSD flash card to match
> iPhone flash capacity
>
> are these assertions correct?
>
> Apple has:
>
> -- 3G data [much faster than Freeruner's GPRS]
> -- faster processor
> -- larger physical screen size (but about the same  dpi?)
> -- 2 megapixel camera
> -- proximity sensor (knows when held to face, can dim screen)

the 3g iphone is significantly better in all tech specs except screen
resolution (the screen is bigger on the iphone and i think it is easier to see
in sunlight). the freerunner screen is much smaller and much higher dpi.
iphone is 320x480 and 3.5" (163dpi), freerunner is 480x640 and 2.8" (285dpi.

freerunner only has 256m flash, iphone (3g) has 8 or 16g. both have 128m ram.
iphone's memory bus will be much faster though as well as the cpu being faster.
freerunner has a usb1.1 connection, iphone is usb2.

as you said eblow - they are about equal with the below items, yes.