comparing Apples and Oranges $199 iPhone Freerunner GTA02

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Tue Jun 10 18:02:34 CEST 2008

> So, how does the Freerunner UI stand in front of the iPhone's ?
> What about the MobileMe initiative ? Do we have anything like that ?
>
> I checked both openmoko and maemo, and Im more and more afraid of how
> far we are (we = the FOSS people) from Apple and Google.

why should "we" compete with apple in this respect?
i never understood the hype for 3d desktop thingumabob (compiz/aigle or
whatever it is called now), animated icons or that stuff -- it usually
only eats cpu and memory w/o offering real benefits, it's just eye candy.
while i don't underestimate the importance of those gimmicks in marketing
i still like to think the users targetd by the openmoko are above this
tinsel, glitz and glass beads ;-)

imho the palm os ui has still its merits and while improvable its far
better then f ex windows ce -- i had no chance to check iphone's way of
navigation, but i am convinced, if there is any good somebody will
implement somthing sismilar for us :-)