QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Jun 10 18:12:17 CEST 2008

On 9 Jun 2008, at 17:52, Flemming Richter Mikkelsen wrote:
> I am more and more convinced that QVGA would be good enough for
> _most of the future users_. The reasons:
>  - Calendar is not an (real) issue

Tell that to one of the people who've raised that subject here on
this list. Just because it's not an issue for you, doesn't mean it's
not a real one for them.

IMO the calendar problem is only the tip of the iceberg - it is only
ONE example where screen real-estate makes HUGE difference.

Openmoko's openness allows a wide variety of new applications that
we've never thought of before, will pull in a huge number of
developers who will break new ground, simply because they can. I
honestly don't think we can imagine the applications to which
Openmoko phones will be put to in a year or two, and I'm sure there
are going to be many of them for which QVGA doesn't cut it.

> - Remember all the complaints about "Impossible to view videos on
>    GTA02"? That was a huge issue for many people.

That's nonsense, I'm afraid. In one of his earliest posts Carsten
explained that the workaround for this is to encode the video at
lower resolution. If you encode the video at 320x240 and play it then
it consumes exactly the same bus-width whatever size screen you play
it on (if this problem isn't fixed in other ways on later revisions,
anyway. doesn't GTA03 do away with the Glamo?).

Stroller.