comparing Apples and Oranges $199 iPhone Freerunner GTA02

Brian C brianwc at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jun 10 18:25:00 CEST 2008

cedric cellier wrote:
[snip]
> So, how does the Freerunner UI stand in front of the iPhone's ?
> What about the MobileMe initiative ? Do we have anything like that ?
[snip]
The MobileMe initiative was a far bigger announcement yesterday than the
3G iPhone.  Once one uses a Treo or similar linked to an Exchange server
then one is spoiled by having email/contacts/calendar pushed to/from
your phone automatically.  People choosing the Freerunner shouldn't have
to take a step backwards in this respect.  Surely someone can start a
"push" project for the Freerunner so that its native email/contacts/cal
apps can interact with the most common mail servers and/or
GNU/Linux-based desktop apps.  (Or there's a business opportunity here
for someone who wants to be the intermediate server in the cloud.)

Second, there's been some discussion of Android on the Freerunner.
Since Google is making increasingly clear that they will open source all
the component parts of Android, what's the reason for not throwing
Openmoko's full support behind that project too, and working together
with them on a great & open UI/platform for mobile devices?  Maybe there
is a good reason--I don't know--so, I'm really asking: why compete with
another open source phone project that has such an enormous amount of
support?

Brian