Free Runner price vs iphone 3G price - Things clear

Robert Taylor subscribers at tinsputnik.com
Wed Jun 11 00:51:08 CEST 2008

Jorge . wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This post is going further my expectations :) so, lets put the things in order:

Okay.
> 1) FreeRunner and its freedom is the best, so we dont need an argue about the good reasons to buy one :)

Right!
> 2) In countries where you have to sign a two year contract, the iPhone 3G will be more expensive at the end, but this is not the situation of everyone.

Not true, the iphone is subsidized the moko isn't.  If the moko was
subsidized it would be free.  This is TRUE FOR EVERYONE.
> 3) Apple will say all time that you will have to sign a contract to get an iPhone, but in the reality they do nothing to stop people unlocking phones and selling them without AT&T contracts around the world (check ebay before telling again you have to sign a contract!!!), because they get money for that phones anyway. So I expect iPhones 3G being sold for $199 USD without any contract around the world, and for most people does not matter if this is legal or not.

Again, not true.  On the new Iphones, you HAVETO get a 2 year contract.
If you decide to quit you will pay a fee that will total up greater than
the $600 the phone is worth.

If you want to go ahead and throw away $600 bucks at the break of a
contract and sell it on ebay go ahead.  Just stop posting nonsense.
> 4) FreeRunner is a product, and need sales to survive. I will buy a Freerunner instead an iPhone because i want a free phone, but many people would prefer to buy an unlocked-hacked-nocontract iPhone on ebay for $199 than an OpenMoko for $399. am I clear enough?

Not  clear at all.  If you were there would be no thread.  If you want
to compare apples to apples, compare a subsidized iphone to a subsized
moko, or unsubsidized iphone to an unsubsidized moko.

There is NO POSSIBILITY of exception to this.  Just because a moko is
not available as a subsidized device right now is irrelevant as its not
available on the market.  More to the point the new iphone isn't
available yet, just pricing.
> furthermore the freedom, there is a war for the smartphones market and a freephone have to be competitive  in price, not only in quality and philosophy.

This is only true if you do what you are insisting on doing, comparing
things that are not of equal value.  While it is fine for consumers to
be ignorant of these facts and actually think your argument is valid,
it's not correct on this thread as you are clearly educated and
understand the reality of the situation.

Just compare equal things and stop posting flawed arguments and there is
no thread.