comparing Apples and Oranges $199 iPhone Freerunner GTA02

kenneth marken k-marken at online.no
Wed Jun 11 02:50:54 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 23:42:30 Robin Paulson wrote:
> 2008/6/10 Ron K. Jeffries <rjeffries at gmail.com>:
> > [I trust this will not initiate a flame war.] Please?
> >
> > iPhone v2 announced today. I'd like to understand
> > on a hardware basis ONLY (I grok the value of
> > free and open source) how does
> > the entry level $199 iPhone with 4GB
> > compare with Freerunner GTA02.
> >
> > where I get lost is how much RAM iPhone
> > has vs Freerunner. I realize I can buy
>
> i remember reading somewhere that the iphone's os can't run multiple
> applications at once - sorry no source for this. did i get this right,
> if i did, that's a major bonus to om/freerunner?

in theory the os can multitask. its basically a variant of the bsd kernel and
so on used in osx. jailbreaked current gen iphones multitask. but apple have
but a limit on sdk based apps, claiming battery life reasons. instead, if one
wants to liten for im traffic or similar, one sign up with a apple messaging
server that will pass this on to the individual phone, kinda like a push mail
service.

so for a im client it will be:

im network interface at app makers place -> apple message server -> iphone,
where it will show up as one of 3 kinds of onscreen messages.