No 3G for GTA03, 2G/EDGE only?

thomasg thomas at gstaedtner.net
Thu Jun 12 00:01:27 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org>
wrote:

> I heard Nokia needs a reboot to switch, and eats battery as if there's no
> tomorrow on 3G ;-)
> /j

That's (partly) true.
Nokias Symbian S60 and their S40 phones need to reboot - but that's only a
software problem and I don't really know why they do that.
If you have a 2G+3G modem you can talk hayes to, it is no problem to switch
without powering off.
Via AT-Commands (at+opsys) it's mostly possible to switch between 5 states:
only 2g, only 3g, 2g preferred, 3g preferred, auto (depends on the modem)
more or less on-the-fly.
I guess they do that to bypass some problems that for example gsmd-users
experienced :-)
The battery problem is a bit odd, too - especially because technically umts
takes less power - in use and even less in standby. It powers up on higher
data rates what of course will take some power.
So why is this? First I think it's because if the relatively bad 3G-coverage
that causes a weaker signal. The other point is that GSM is a pretty old
(for techies :) and more than just widely used and mature technique.