No 3G for GTA03, 2G/EDGE only?

thomasg thomas at gstaedtner.net
Thu Jun 12 00:10:07 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:20 AM, <wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com> wrote:

> Well entry level ADSL here in belgium are 250 Kbits.
> Also UMTS claimed 2Mbits are never acchieved except perhaps in densly
> populated area

I don't think you really tested UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA, or at least not with
proper hardware or with the wrong carrier.
I'm pretty much a hardcore-user (at least if I'm at work, what fortunately
is in that business) and did my own benchmarks.
At least for the two big carriers in germany the datarates are just awsome
(the other two carriers are widely disappointing in this area) and I get
about 3000 kbps (net!) in phase2 (3.6 Mbit/s) covered areas and even more in
the new phase3 (7.2 Mbit/s) areas.
Note that I did this under real life conditions, no lab tests.
So don't damn the technology if you hardware or your provider can't/won't
use it properly.
Also you really should use a dedicated HSPA/HSDPA-modem, no handy-built-in
as that would explain that differences (and even more).

I don't think EDGE is really an alternative solution - it's good for
compensating the coverage, and it's definately good enough for use on a
cellphone. Browsing is really good with EDGE.