SIM cards for Freerunner

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 05:52:50 CEST 2008

2008/6/12 ian douglas <ian.douglas at iandouglas.com>:
> They're not about to give us a 10% or 20% break on our monthly bill, or
> whatever percentage pays for the subsidy of a locked phone (like the
> iPhone), otherwise the 'subsidy' no longer appears as a subsidy to the
> end user who *does* buy a locked phone, the user sees it exactly as you
> stated it -- they're financing their phone. And AT&T is going to want
> that to appear as 'transparent' as possible to the consumer.

a partial way round this situation:

1 take out a contract
2 get a free phone
3 get it unlocked
4 sell it on fleabay as nearly new

you won't get the same back as the phone is 'worth', but it can still
be used to somewhat offest the cost of buying a freerunner

i've never tried this, i have no idea how much unlocked phones go for.
it may or may not be worth the effort to you