[OT] compiz and other unproductive candy

Cedric Cellier rixed at happyleptic.org
Thu Jun 12 09:15:10 CEST 2008

-[ Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:13:19PM +0100, Andy Powell ]----
> > And better yet for productivity, at least for a developper : do not use
> > any "workspace" that require management. :-)
>
> Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense at all. If I'm doing web development
> I'll open multiple windows, a browser a couple of shells, if I'm doing c work
> I'll have a couple of shells, possibly glade running... these are all tools
> of the trade and compiz allows good clean management of those windows which
> can be spread over however many faces on your 'cube' you decide to have.

Stop kidding yourself. All these things are not computing but plain
entertainment.

Ken Thompson, who once punched the first Unix in a month, is believed to
have said that "one don't need to see the state of a file when editing
it" (refering to full screen editors).

I don't mean that no graphics is usefull, but there sure is something
rotten in here. That is entertainment that drives UI, not usefullness
(except in some degree what comes from Apple).

Friendly,