[OT] compiz and other unproductive candy

Andy Powell openmoko at automated.it
Thu Jun 12 11:39:52 CEST 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 08:15, Cedric Cellier wrote:
> -[ Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:13:19PM +0100, Andy Powell ]----
>
> > > And better yet for productivity, at least for a developper : do not use
> > > any "workspace" that require management. :-)
> >
> > Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense at all. If I'm doing web
> > development I'll open multiple windows, a browser a couple of shells, if
> > I'm doing c work I'll have a couple of shells, possibly glade running...
> > these are all tools of the trade and compiz allows good clean management
> > of those windows which can be spread over however many faces on your
> > 'cube' you decide to have.
>
> Stop kidding yourself. All these things are not computing but plain
> entertainment.

WTF are you on about... I suggest you stop watching Youtube videos of fish in
a compiz cube and actually try using it.

> Ken Thompson, who once punched the first Unix in a month, is believed to
> have said that "one don't need to see the state of a file when editing
> it" (refering to full screen editors).

Now you're using possible hearsay and bad grammar [possibly his] to backup
your claim. Not only that but I'm telling you now, if Ken Thompson said that,
then he's wrong. Some people might work like that, most don't.  Quite frankly
I don't really care if he did or didn't say it. He may like to use a line
editor - I don't. I suggest you go back to using punched cards.

> I don't mean that no graphics is usefull, but there sure is something
> rotten in here. That is entertainment that drives UI, not usefullness
> (except in some degree what comes from Apple).

Yeah, because only apple can make anything useful - seriously get a grip.

--

Andy / ScaredyCat