[OT] compiz and other unproductive candy

Peter Nijs peter at familienijs.be
Thu Jun 12 11:53:34 CEST 2008

Op Thursday 12 June 2008 09:15:10 schreef Cedric Cellier:
> -[ Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:13:19PM +0100, Andy Powell ]----
>
> > > And better yet for productivity, at least for a developper : do not use
> > > any "workspace" that require management. :-)
> >
> > Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense at all. If I'm doing web
> > development I'll open multiple windows, a browser a couple of shells, if
> > I'm doing c work I'll have a couple of shells, possibly glade running...
> > these are all tools of the trade and compiz allows good clean management
> > of those windows which can be spread over however many faces on your
> > 'cube' you decide to have.
>
> Stop kidding yourself. All these things are not computing but plain
> entertainment.
>
> Ken Thompson, who once punched the first Unix in a month, is believed to
> have said that "one don't need to see the state of a file when editing
> it" (refering to full screen editors).
>
> I don't mean that no graphics is usefull, but there sure is something
> rotten in here. That is entertainment that drives UI, not usefullness
> (except in some degree what comes from Apple).
>
> Friendly,

A little entertainment while working doesn't hurt me. Why do offices have
pictures on the wall? They aren't necessary either, but they improve the
atmosphere, and they improve the productivity. Why else would employers put
these pictures there?

And is OM wants to sell phones to other people than Ken Tompson and other
geeks, they will need a nice UI. I've seen a statement somewhere on the OM
site that they hoped GTA2 would be bought by our parents... These are people
who would happily invest some electricity in the rendering of a UI. So I
think it's in everyones interest that OM is standard supplied with a nice UI.
That would make the OM profitable and only than they will be able to make
GTA3 to GTAxx. Geeks who don't need/want the nice UI can always switch it
off. That's the beauty of Linux. Just press CTRL-AT-F1 and you're rid of
KDE/GNOME/Fluxbox... I don't think it would be any harder on the OM.

Peter