Why not use forum?

Joe Pfeiffer joseph at pfeifferfamily.net
Thu Jun 12 19:06:32 CEST 2008

Leonti Bielski writes:
>Hi!
>I was wondering - why are we not using forum for community?
>It's much  better to view, you can subscribe and unsubscribe to the
>topics you want and etc.
>The main
>Personally I don't like mailing list because it's not that comfortable
>and I can see no advatages of using mailing list instead of forum?
>Can anyone explain to me why we can't install

Oh, please, no.  Every forum I've tried to work with (I'll admit there
have been very few) has been very pretty, but absolutely painful in
terms of actually being able to follow the flow of conversation and
topics. Good old fashioned text-only email works very, very well for
this (arguably, IRC works even better for a really dynamic conversation).

Shortly after these mailling lists were established, somebody else was
complaining about the lack of a forum, and was going to create one.  I
don't know whatever happened to that effort...  if you'd like to
create a forum for openmoko discussions, you are of course more than
welcome to do so.