Click Feedback?

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Thu Jun 12 23:22:38 CEST 2008

Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org> writes:

> There will be NO dropouts (at least for call audio). The GSM audio
> path isn't routed through the system, it's direct way

It will be routed through the system in many use cases. One use case
is pre processing the sound from the mic before it goes into the GSM
module. Preprocessing is something I always do on my VOIP system. I
apply low pass and high pass filter, a compressor and sometimes I add
other cool stuff, like changing your voice or add a radio proximity
bass effect.

> we need a way to mix concurrent sounds (like alsa dmix is supposed
> to do) in a way that's not eating up our cpu-resources.

If you want to mix audio into the outgoing signal, the audio source
might have drop outs because it's being preempted by other real time
threads in the kernel. This will not happen in a JACK context.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m