Why not use forum?

wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com
Fri Jun 13 00:02:56 CEST 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 23:33:37 Ben Burdette wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >> I was wondering - why are we not using forum for community?
> >> It's much  better to view, you can subscribe and unsubscribe to the
> >> topics you want and etc.
> >
> > For me, mailing list is much better to view, filter, read off-line,
> > quick download etc. etc. For admins, mailing list is much easier to
> > maintain (no buggy, crappy phpBB, etc.).
>
> I wouldn't say mailing lists are entirely bug free - witness the
> duplicate messages I regularly delete out of my openmoko folder on a
> regular basis.
>
> for me some advantages of forums:
>
> - far easier to set up and use, no filters and etc.

Supposing that you read other mail using thunderbird your mail is always
running.  So Instead of firing up FF, clicking on a bookmark, selecting the
forum and waiting all the time while pages load, look at your running mail
and see if messages of OM have arrived.  'easier to use ????' what could be
easier ?

> - far less distracting, with no emails coming in every 5 secs for every
> topic.

I have set up a rule automatically moves the OM messages to a folder I read
when I have time.  Setting up that rule takes less time than registering on a
forum

> - don't have to download 1 million emails onto all my machines that I
> use thunderbird on.

Leave your messages on the server for all thunderbirds that are NOT master so
you only download the messages you want to read.

> +1 for forums from me.
>
> or, why not usenet??   what's wrong with newsgroups?  I don't understand
> why people prefer mailing lists to newsgroups.

Because mailing lists do not require you to check for new news from time to
time but you get messages as they become available.

Because mails are much easier to process than web pages are. (bloated with
stuff as they frequently are).

Because you have fewer steps needed to access messages.  Forums generally
require you to select at least the forum you want to open).