QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Ken Young rtm at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 13 19:36:55 CEST 2008

Chris Write wrote:

> Using a terminal emulator would be far more pleasant with the higher
> resolution screen, but you're not going to get an 80x25 window in
> there; with a 640x480 display plus an on-screen keyboard, you're going
> to have either an 80x30 or so window in portrait mode and an
> unreadable font, or you're going to get about 80x15 in landscape.

This is not correct.   The pssh application for a Palm Treo can
produce a 80x25 terminal emulator with a full on-screen keyboard.
It is hard to read, but definately usable.   I use it daily (although
almost always without the on-screen keyboard - then you get 80x47).
The Treo's screen is only 320x320, so the Freerunner should be able to
produce a 80x25 portrait window with on-screen keyboard and a fairly
nice font.

To those who argue that the ~150 DPI resolution one would get with
QVGA on the '03 is nearly indistiguishable from the VGA resolution
on a 2.8" screen I ask:   When was the last time you saw a 150 DPI
laser printer?   Why are they so hard to find?

Ken Young