QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Fri Jun 13 21:52:15 CEST 2008

Am Fr  13. Juni 2008 schrieb Chris Wright:
> Since the alternative to using QVGA is using VGA with a faster GPU and
> processor,

One last time:
...OR USING VGA IN QVGA MODE WITH SAME PROCESSOR, AND SWITCH TO VGA WHENEVER
YOU NEED THIS RESOLUTION.

It's all about nothing else than just saving some 5 bucks on the screen (which
probably will not apply whenever this comes to reality, because you have to
buy QVGA-screens from antiquities collectors then), and the allegedly
*better* (huh?) quality of QVGA when compared to a VGA in QVGA-mode. All of
this are moot arguments!!!

> and this is a phone that runs on batteries, I'm inclined to
> encourage the use of QVGA on future Openmoko phones.
And WTF is the rationale behind this??? You're suggesting we should use slower
cpu for saving battery or what? Yeah our GTA04 will probably have 8bit cpu
and a 7-segment display, but no screen at all, and 4000h of standby time.
(btw: standby isn't related to cpu-power-consumption at all)

> I have a phone
> from 2002 with a battery that used to last a week; it annoys me to
> deal with much less than that.

Don't ask what I'm annoyed of!
Aaahrg, really sorry, but [ignore thread] now (last one of hw-dev leaving
pointless discussion).
/j