OT: Nokia expects open source developers to accept things like DRM, commercial IP rights, and SIM locks.

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Sat Jun 14 03:24:25 CEST 2008

Friday 13 June 2008 Andy Powell wrote:
> > "Why do we need closed vehicles? We do," he said.
> > "Some of these things harm the industry but they're here [as things
> > stand]."
>
> Thanks for posting this. It has just highlighted how Nokia really still
> just don't get it.

  A lot of people look for the worst in others, and i try to generally play
the other side. Look in the snip i did above, and try to read what else the
guy is saying: He doesn't like DRM in principle, but realise that the carriers
like it enough that if Nokia's handsets did not support it, they wouldn't do
any business (they make a LOT of money through subsidised handsets). This is
something people might have understood here as well, if they had attended
Knut's talk at FOSDEM this year, where he tackled the subject as well. It was
a rather enlightening talk for a large number of the attendees as i remember
it.

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://www.leinir.dk/