OT: Nokia expects open source developers to accept things like DRM, commercial IP rights, and SIM locks.

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Sat Jun 14 01:50:31 CEST 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/13/2008 02:47 PM, Stroller wrote:
>>    Open-source developers targeting the mobile space need to learn
>>    business rules including digital rights management, Nokia's software
>>    chief has claimed.
>> Full article:
>> http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jun2008/gb20080612_288518.htm
>

> My favorite line, "As an industry, we plan to use open-source
> technologies but we are not yet ready to play by the rules; but this
> needs to work the other way round too."
>
> What exactly does he mean by that?  It sounds like he's saying that the
> industry is going to ignore the rules of open source and wants open
> source developers to ignore the rules of "the industry"?  Though I'll
> admit that interpretation is a complete contradiction of everything else
> in the article, I can't come up with another interpretation.  I'm
> guessing it's a bad quotation in the article or he just happened to
> choose the wrong words to convey his message.

Considering English is not his native language... I am sure something
did not come through as he intended.

I think what he means is this:
Businesses are not yet ready to fully embrace open source as the
community see's it. He also means that the open source community should
learn WHY things are the way they are. You don't have to agree with
those ideas, but knowledge about it doesn't hurt anybody and could
benefit by enabling us to help change things.

Remember, Nokia might be one company, but it is made by individuals. A
lot of them. Who have differing ideas about things.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, MES, Trolltech