Acceleration in our pockets

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sat Jun 14 04:34:03 CEST 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:56:03 +0200 Peter Nijs <peter at familienijs.be> babbled:

> I'm still confused about the clame somebody made he had sent a 320x240 mpeg4
> stream to the glamo and got 21fps when the data came from internal flash
> while the same stream from sd gave 19 fps. <my comprehension>. I assume the
> data HAS to pass the cpu when it comes from internal flash, because the flash
> and the glamo are on a different bus. When the stream came from the sd card
> it passed the graphics bus twice because dma doesn't work. A well compressed

it didnt pass an mp4 stream to the glamo. it passes yuv data. cpu decodes mp4
to yuv frames. frames are uploaded to glamo as normal (read up on xvideo and
fourcc). the mp4 file coming from sd card comes from the cd card on the glamo
to system ram - gets decoded, then goes back to glamo as yuv data. btw - it's 7
megabytes - not megabits that is the bandwidth (7.3 is what i measured).

there is no usable dma so all copies are done by cpu.

> 320x240 mpeg4 stream takes 500kbit/s max with sound. So twice this doesn't
> chocke any bus. The cpu also has time enough to do other things here.</my
> comprehension</a> So how could these framerates be so low? The site of the
> glamo claims it can do 30fps on VGA. Which maybe brings the needed bus speed
> to 1Mbit/s in the worst case with dma and 2Mbit without.

sorry - math is based on wrong assumptions. see above :)