GTA03: New case? Bigger screen!

Nigel Cunningham nigel at suspend2.net
Sun Jun 15 06:54:27 CEST 2008

Hi Robert.

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 18:41 -0700, Robert Taylor wrote:
> Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > That's too bad. I was going to buy GTA02, but decided not to because it
> > lacks 3G. If GTA03 is going to lack it too, I guess I'd better look
> > elsewhere for something / re-evaluate how long I want to wait before
> > combining my organiser and phone into one.

> Well if you want the moko to compete with the iphone, I recommend that
> you just unsubscribe to this list and go buy an iphone.

> I done mean that to be mean.
>
> It's just that this project is about trying to achieve FREEDOM while
> dealing with the restrictions the world places on us.
>
> If 3g is such a dealbreaker go and satisfy your need - this project
> isn't designed for you.

Free software is important to me too, Robert. I only wrote the message
because I wanted the OpenMoko guys to have a little more feedback from
their (potential) customers as to what we're after.

I'd really rather buy a Freerunner, but at the moment I'm not sure what
to do. I currently have a Nokia 3210 that spends most of it's time
turned off and forgotten, and a Palm Zire 21 that gets wiped if the
Nokia does something wrong (apparently not shielded that well). I'd like
to replace them both by one thing, and I want that one thing to be Linux
based and open source. At the same time, though, I want it to be useful
for a long time. 3G seems to me ignorant mind to fit that bill better
than GSM. (They've just switched off CDMA here in Aussie; I don't know
anything for certain, but assume that it won't be too many years before
GSM goes the same way). Or maybe I am just ignorant. Can you do sending
and receiving email and so on with GSM, or is that 3G only?

Nigel