moko running everything as root

Msquared announce.lists.openmoko at msquared.id.au
Tue Jun 17 19:13:11 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 01:09:03AM +0200, Flemming Richter Mikkelsen wrote:

> > What are the engineering reasons for this?
>
> The reason is that the user normally wants to run a lot of root
> applications such as rdate, power off, opkg, etc. Of course this should
> be solved, but it should not be a top priority.

Personally, I want to use my Freerunner as a satellite device for my own
set of personal and corporate data, via a secured network of some sort.

For me, that means I need to be able to trust the Freerunner, and if so
many 'user' apps run as root, then I can't trust that.

Perhaps even worst than data destruction would be data pilfering; think
'identity theft' and 'fraud' for a start.

The moment that you connect a device to anything resembling a network, you
can no longer consider the device to be 'single user'.

Regards, Msquared...