Possible Camera

David Pottage david at electric-spoon.com
Wed Jun 18 15:06:30 CEST 2008

On Wed, June 18, 2008 12:40 pm, christopher bradski wrote:
> Good Morning Community,
>  I was browsing around the other day and found a cmos camera at
> http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8668. Its a
> 1.3 mega pixel camera and doesn't have much current draw and under $10.
> I'm
> not an electrical engineer but was wondering how feasible(with some
> soldering skills and a basic electronic understanding) it would be to
> attach
> this the the freerunner? The data sheet is included on the site. Thank you
> all in advance for your help.

I assume you are thinking of building a small daughter board with the
camera on, connecting that board to the freerunner mainboard somehow, and
mounting the camera in a modded case?

I would say your chances of adding one to an existing freerunner is quite
slim. The freerunner has an I2C bus to control it so that part would be
easy, but it looks like it needs an 8 bit I/O port to get the picture data
out, and I don't think the freerunner has an accessable one you could tap
into.

Also the whole camera is surface mount, which would make it fairly tricky
to mount on your daughter board.

None of these things would prevent a camera like this being included in a
future OpenMoko design, but don't think it would be possible for anyone to
add a camera like this to an existing phone.

If you want a working camera on your freerunner, then I suggest you look
for one that connects via USB, as that is a much easer bus to connect to.

--
David Pottage

Error compiling committee.c To many arguments to function.