GPS

Yorick Matthys yorick_matthys at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 23 18:32:51 CEST 2008

Marcus Bauer said:
>My experience with the Freerunner is ~12 minutes TTFF (time to first
>fix) without use of agps and ~4-8 minutes TTFF with agps from
>agps.u-blox.com using the software from openmoko.
>
>The Neo1973 (GTA01) had a TTFF without agps assistance of ~2 min.

12 minutes without AGPS and 4-8min with AGPS??
I hope there was a thunderstorm inside the basement where you tested this... :)

Seriously, these just don't seem realistic.
Compare them for example with some other devices from 2003: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ttffcomparisons.php.
Or from ublox: http://www.u-blox.com/technology/assistnow/ (table at the bottom of the page)

Surely there must be something wrong with your software/settings/hardware/environment...
(or maybe they still have a lot of work to do on the GPS :))